29 Mar 2010

Handled with care - ceramics with a soul

Here at The Poppy Club we're big fans of all things ceramic, and this week what caught my eye at Etsy are these pieces by Villareal . I totally love the idea of stirring my tea with a ladder!

I find the "handmade" look of uneven surfaces and visible traces of handling quite endearing and indeed their creator chooses to leave such "individual imperfections" on her works. I think too that a large part of the novelty of form comes from the technique used to make them: all the items are made from slabs of porcelain that are then cut and folded before being sanded and glazed for a smooth and shiny finish.

The wall box below with clustered flowers reminds of me of the funny way that in spring everything suddenly goes crazy and the buds have to fight to find a spot a the sun!


I also love the coolness of the pine forest design. Must be the pristine white of the porcelain and suggestion of mint green, but whatever the cause, they strike me as fresh and serene. I can escape from the city in a glance!




No comments:

Post a Comment